Breaking News on Fraser Island! Now Rename K’gari
Fraser Island is having a name change?… K’Gari ….Here is what we know about this subject.
- ” K’Gari ” meaning Paradise was named by the Butchulla people. They are the original inhabitants of the Island. ( K’Gari pronounced gurri )
- In 2014 the Butchulla people were granted Native Title rights. They now wish to share prominence and recognition with a dual name being ” K’Gari / Fraser Island. (This is similar to the situation with Ayres Rock / Uluru that had a name change back in 2002. )
- Spokes person for the Butchulla tribe Ms Bird sees this renaming as a “partial victory ” for the traditional aboriginal land owners.
- Environment Minister Dr. Steven Miles said the name change would be effective immediately as from 23 April 2017
- Three signs will be installed near the barge landings for all the visitors to see, some 500,000 + that visit each year.
- The signs have been designed by the islands Ranger, Conway Burns, who is also a corporation director. [Read more…]