Crystal clear waters of Lake Mackenzie
Lake McKenzie is an absolutely stunning and the most popular freshwater perched lake to visit on Fraser Island. Not only is it beautiful it has a diverse range of flora and fauna as well as bikini clad visitors.
Why must you visit Lake McKenzie?
Because It’s a photographers dream !!
The lake is circled by pristine white sand, is approx. 13ha in area and sits 80m above sea level.
Lake McKenzie is one of the most popular tourist attractions for swimming, photographing and picnicking. Even on an overcast rainy day it is still beautiful.
You may find that your photos are accidentally photo bombed by the hundreds of tourists that visit everyday or you may be temporarily blinded by the dazzeling white sand.
You can swim ( or just dip your toes ) in the crystal azure waters and you may even want to put on a mask and snorkel and look for little turtles that inhabit this freshwater lake. It is amazing to say the least, a natural and beautiful wonder of the world.
We visit here many times a year to bring friends and family. It never disappoints, however depending on the weather the lake can change moods.
On a sunny day it is crystal clear and postcard perfect yet on an overcast day it seems gloomy but still just as picturesque.
The stunning water of Lake McKenzie
The lake itself has a huge surrounding car parking area and a closed car park for the many tourist buses that visit everyday.
It has a day picnic area with tables and bench seats however food is not permitted down by the lake itself. Give yourself plenty of time to explore around the lake as well as enjoy the crystal waters.
Guaranteed you will want to stay longer and come again.
A few hints for visitors to Lake McKenzie
- This popular spot does have toilet facilities however carry some spare toilet paper as it runs out very fast when all the buses pull up and unload the passengers. Nothing worse than empty toilet roll holders when your busting. They are enviro toilets with septic tanks so no foreign objects.
- Take a stroll around the lake on the walking track, however be sure to let someone know where you are planning to walk just in case you get lost or disorientated. It is a huge lake and surrounded by thick bushland.
- The lake is home to hundreds of little freshwater turtles. They frolic around the shallow edges near the foliage away from all the humans. So go for a swim around the edges with your snorkel and goggles and count how many you see. Please do not try to catch them .
Lake McKenzie Photo Gallery
More (K’gari) Island Attractions
- Lake Mckenzie Fraser Island
- Platypus Bay Fraser Island
- Champaign Pools Fraser Island
- Eli Creek Fraser Island
- Central Station Rainforest
- The Pinnacles – Coloured Sands
- The Maheno Wreck Fraser Island
- Indian Head Fraser Island
- The Sandy Cape Lighthouse